It’s time to celebrate! Hosting a great party is all about creating the perfect festive environment that sets the mood for your guests.
As a host, you have the power to shape the trajectory of the event and how your guests feel from the moment they walk through the door.
Here are some valuable tips to help you become a super host for your next social gathering based on our over decade of experience and expertise as a catering company in Orlando.
Written by Makayla Archambeault – Plate Above Catering
Tips to help you become a super host
Welcoming Your Guests
Create a warm and inviting atmosphere from the outset of your party that eases nerves, introduces guests, and offers a delightful culinary preview:
- Be ready to receive guests and prepare to start 30 minutes earlier than expected.
- Welcome your guests with open arms, whether they’re introverts, extroverts, familiar faces or someone you’re meeting for the first time.
- Calm your guests’ nerves with a cocktail/mocktail and a tasty “amuse-bouche” (delicious treat). Give them a fun taste of the culinary offerings to come.
- Foster connections by introducing guests and encouraging discussions about shared interests.
- Bonus points for having pre-planned topics of discussion or high-energy stories to engage your guests, minimizing any awkward feelings of being the first arrivals.
Check out this video of an easy holiday cocktail: Apple Pie Sangria
Food and Fun
Find creative ways to engage your guests and stimulate mingling, from strategically placed food stations to entertaining activities and professional bartending services:
- Make food mobile and simple to eat such as finger foods, bite-sized appetizers, and other easily manageable options. Serving food that doesn’t require utensils or two hands to assemble or eat helps keep the party atmosphere lively and engaging.
- Set up your food in stations around your home, office or venue to encourage guests to move about and mingle with each other.
- Add activities such as a giant coloring sheet or board games like Chess, Checkers, or Cornhole Games to elevate these food and beverage stations. Having these leisurely activities strewn about your party will help your guests feel more comfortable.
- If your budget allows, hire a bartender to craft cocktails and mocktails to elevate your party experience.
- Monitor any over-consumption of alcohol at your event to ensure your guests and those around them get home safely.
As the event draws to its conclusion, gracefully wrap things up, express appreciation and gently guide your guests toward the exit, ensuring a memorable and polite conclusion to your gathering:
- Start saying your own goodbyes at the indicated end time to gently nudge your guests toward leaving without making them feel rushed out the door.
- Express gratitude for your guests’ attendance and offer a small token of gratitude by providing them a party favor. This adds an elevated touch at the end of the evening to show your guests they are valued. It can be something edible like a cupcake or something simple such as a candle.
- Position yourself near the door to say goodnight and signal to any lingering guests that the event is winding down and it’s time for them to leave.
Before you know it, your party will be over and your guests will be happily on their way home.
You can breathe a sigh of relief, knowing that you’ve created a welcoming atmosphere for your guests, exceeded expectations and ensured your status as a super host.
About Plate Above Catering
Plate Above is a full-service catering company with a mission to provide memorable experiences through delicious food.
From weddings to corporate events to parties and intimate anniversaries to community-wide
gatherings, Plate Above offers customizable and innovative offerings.
Led by award-winning Chef Jill Holland, our from-scratch cuisine and best-in-class service create an unforgettable taste experience that is a favorite among clients.
Contact us today and make your next event in Orlando truly remarkable.